Auto Accident Faqs
By Patricia Woloch

What should I do if I am in a car accident?

The police should immediately be called so a repot can be filed. Medical treatment should be administered at the scene, if necessary. Bear in mind that the shock of being involved in an auto accident can often mask any pain for hours, or even days. Be sure to exchange information with the other drivers involved. Obtain names, addresses, phone numbers and insurance information. Avoid speaking to other drivers’ insurance adjusters.

Should I contact an attorney?

You should consult the advice of an automobile accident attorney right away. There are many steps you need to take to ensure you receive full coverage and payment for the costs and injuries you suffer as a result of an auto accident. An experienced attorney can provide the assistance you will need to be sure you receive payment from the at-fault driver’s insurance company.

What if the at-fault driver does not have insurance?

If the other party involved in the car accident does not have liability insurance that does not mean no coverage may be provided. If you have purchased uninsured motorist insurance, coverage may be available for the injuries and costs you have suffered as a result of the accident. In addition, there may be other third parties that can be held responsible that are unknown. This is another reason why it is important to consult an attorney right away. A good example of this is that you may have a cause against the Department of Transportation for negligent or faulty road design.

Will I have to go to court?

Personal injury cases are more often than not settled prior to having to go to court. Usually parties involved in an auto accident only have to go to court when there is a discrepancy involving the insurance company, or the insurance company refuses to pay the full value of the claim.

Should I take pictures?

Definitely. If you have a camera available, and even if the police take photos, be sure to take as many photos as you can. Always take pictures of the vehicles, the accident scene itself, from multiple angles, and of all the parties involved, especially if they have suffered an injury.

What do I do if the other parties’ insurance companies call me?

Always refuse to speak to insurance companies if they do call, and they most likely will, be polite, but simply decline any comment. Insurance claims adjusters are professionals and even though it may seem as though you said nothing damaging, they are trained and willmake it seem as though you said something entirely different. They ask questions designed to hurt you and help them to avoid having to pay the claim.

Should I go to the doctor?

As mentioned above, many times the shock of being involved in an auto accident can mask pain for over 12 hours, sometimes even days. However, it is always advisable to see a doctor, even when you think you are fine. It is especially important to see a doctor if you do feel any pain whatsoever. Many wait for weeks, hoping the pain will subside on its own. Not seeking the medical assistance of a doctor is not only bad for your health but can ultimately damage your chances of obtaining an appropriate settlement.

Following the advice of the doctor is also very, very important. If you miss an appointment, or fail to follow his or her directions to the letter, it may be used against you.

If you or a loved one has been in an auto accident, please visit the website of personal injury attorney Craig Goldenfarb, P.A. today.

Article Source:
Personal Injury Attorney Atlanta  |  Contact Us  | Related Articles